Here at Tall Poppy, we’ve been super fortunate to be part of the current cohort of the StartOut Growth Lab. StartOut is a global non-profit that works to help LGBTQ entrepreneurs thrive through a number of great programs. The Growth Lab is their signature program – a six-month, equity-free startup accelerator/incubator that gives LGBTQ founders office space and a fantastic close-knit support network.
Applications are open until May 17th, 2019 for the next cohort, which runs from August 2019 to January 2020. We heartily encourage LGBTQ founders of early stage startups to apply. Your team doesn't need to be all-LGBTQ, you just need to have at least one of the founders. Of the current cohort, 3/5 CEOs are women – another way StartOut is different from the average startup program!
Here’s more about what the Growth Lab offers:
- Six months of ridiculously nice office space in San Francisco’s financial district
- Incredible, transformative mentoring and coaching on fundraising, sales, and marketing
- Free legal advice through Nixon Peabody (who donate the physical space, too)
- Lunch-and-learns, dinners with investors, and other social events with the cohort
- A Demo Day at the end where you get to pitch to investors
- A wonderfully supportive cohort of peers – check out our cohort-mates here: Biolumen, Backr, Kyndoo, and Next For Me
The program is structured differently from the usual accelerator model that takes 7% or so. StartOut itself is a non-profit dedicated to LGBTQ entrepreneurship, and participating founders are asked to sign a pledge to personally donate 1% of any future exit to the non-profit. That doesn't go on your cap table, so it doesn’t cramp your fundraising style. (This is also to say: you get sweet office space, but they don't provide funding).
If you have any questions about our experiences in the Growth Lab, we’re happy to answer what we know, or reach out to StartOut directly.
We hope to run into you at a future StartOut event!